The Paedophile and the Knife from the Vatican

The Priest

He was a friend of my then-husband. They worked together on a major committee and he visited us at home on a regular basis.  He was a funny man and our two children a girl and boy, always found him very funny.

In those days I was quite religious and was a regular attendee and volunteer at a church.  The priest was a Catholic, but we were not.  Still, the friendship continued.  We had no idea what was to eventuate.

My son went to a private school, where the music teacher was found to be a paedophile.  I was the angry mother who alerted the church hierarchy, which dismissed my concerns.  (Later I was proven correct and ultimately the teacher was found guilty and gaoled!)

The Priest visited the Vatican  and when he returned he gave me a tiny knife, that could be used with party food - spreading cheese and other items on biscuits.  He told some story about how he came by it at the Vatican, a story that I doubt was true, but it was rather funny.

Sometime later, he attended a family event and was rather grumpy.  Our friends made a comment about it.

On the following Monday, he was arrested for paedophilia.  I don't intend telling all the story here.  We were shocked and immediately talked with our son, wondering if he had seen anything untoward.  He didn't.  We found it very hard to believe, however, the priest eventually appeared in court and was found guilty of abusing two boys.  

He was sent to gaol for several years.  

Strangely, unexpectedly, I met him again.  He was living in a nursing home.  I saw him once more, but that is all.

I still have the little knife, and on the rare occasions, I use it, the story of our former friend is remembered.





Comments