Paper Cutting

Paper Cutting in China


Below is a photo of one of the paper cutting pieces I purchased while in China.  I was fascinated by this folk art and I have managed to create some interesting, but far less clever, paper cutting of my own.



The information with the above video states that when women do paper cutting, it is an indication that they are clever.  I find this somewhat amusing, as I saw mostly guys in China doing it.  In museums, places of historical interest and some shopping places, there will be a stall, where you can purchase completed pieces.  Or just stand and watch in awe as the talented artist does his/her thing.




Paper Cutting History

This article here will give you information on the art of paper cutting and its history.

Red paper is used for this craft, as red is a very significant colour in China.

If you would like to learn how to do it - this YouTube video should help.







Comments