Memories of a Car Event Crash

Motor Event Crash

This morning while staying at the George Williams Hotel in Brisbane, I turned the television on briefly.  A news item shocked me.  Last night (October 27th) a car at a motor event, lost control and crashed into the crowd.

Within seconds I was in tears.  It brought back a memory of an event way back in 1963.  


Motor Racing

I can remember some aspects of it well.  I had never been to a race track, but a friend and I went with two guys.  It was the first and last time for me.  I'm not one that enjoys such events, and with what happened, it made me decide never to go again.

Luckily, I was never asked to attend such an event again.  I don't like noisy/potentially dangerous events.

In the Crowd

We had been at the racetrack for around an hour - when one of the vehicles lost control and veered into the crowd.  It was some distance from where we were - but it was a horrific event and we were all rather shocked.  There were soon ambulance officers and police on the scene, and I think the event was stopped.  We went back to the nurses home.  I was a student nurse in my first year, and I knew I had to be up early the following morning for my shift.


On the Ward

One of the first duties in the morning was to ensure everyone had a shower or was bathed in bed.  I was assigned to a lady in a four bed ward - the victim of the accident at the race track  the night before.  She had minor injuries - cuts and bruises mainly, and these minor injuries were bandaged and she was under observation.

I carefully washed her - face, then hands and arm, then the front of her body, before I had to turn her over. She and I were both shocked as she vomited a huge volume as I moved her.   The awful smelly mess of liquid and undigested food was sprayed all over me.  My white apron was covered from my neck to the hem with liquid and carrots, meat, and peas.  The fluid seeped through and I could feel its wetness on my skin.

After calling for assistance, another nurse came and I left the room in order to return to the nurses home building, to change into clean and dry clothes.

Sister H, who was the sister in charge, refused to let me leave the ward until I had listed the volume and contents that was on me!  I can recall trying not to vomit myself, as I endeavoured to estimate the total fluid and made notes on the lady's chart of the food items I could identify.   When done, I was allowed to leave to walk from the hospital to the home to clean myself up.

It was probably 30 minutes before I returned.  I was angry with Sister H - who was quite a difficult woman to work with - much disliked by the trainee nurses.  

The lady who had been injured in the accident at the car racing track recovered quickly, and I have rarely remembered the incident.

Until today.  I did tear up for a while as I watched the scene on television.  Just so glad I was not in the audience!


PhotoPum RanaRoja

The photo does not look anything like the car I witnessed, nor the one last night!

Do you like car racing?






Comments