Wednesday, May 17

House Sitting Again

It came out of the blue.  I was packing up and moving out of my unit at Beachmere, expecting to live on the streets in my campervan.  Then an unexpected phone call from a friend, whose home and cat I have cared for several times in the past, and an offer to look after her house and cat again.

Now I am living in the house in Clayfield - and Lulu the cat loves me being here.  I get a massage from her every night, when I let her inside the house.  She's 17 years of age - with failing eyesight and hearing, but with a good appetite!!

(I am familiar with the suburb of Clayfield as my daughter went to Clayfield College which is very near where I am living now.)

She spends most of the day sleeping within metres of the back door.  
I have been here for less than a week - and am somewhat settled.  I know the house well - so not a lot of learning to do.  I am so familiar that I don't need to learn to do anything.

But I have some challenges.  Most of my belongings are in a storage facility near Caboolture, about 45 kms from here.  I have some issues with it - as the guys didn't pack it well.  Such that I have difficulties accessing some of my belongings and some of my boxes have already broken.

There are also items in my campervan at my daughter's place, and I have things packed in the boot of my car. I've not had the time to sort them out.  

I don't have some of my cables - and some other items that I will need over the next few weeks.  Also, some files are "buried" in the storage.

Photo by Andrew Possingham, South Australia via Unsplash.com

The photo is not of Lulu - will try and arrange that later.

It may be that I will do some more house sitting - this is my second stint this year - and I have another one in July.  

2 comments:

Care Guide said...

Great and insightful article as always! Housesitting can sometimes bring up challenges but I really admire how much perseverance you have during this process!

If you're a housesitter, visit the site Housesitter.com to view more jobs. No other site has as many housesitter jobs in your area!

Di Hill said...

Yes, there are websites with info for people seeking house sitters connecting them to people who do house sitting. I have used such sites before, but these days it is people who contact me direct. Di