The Ten Commandments

When I was little I went to church.  I believe that I was a good Christian girl, though I confess I didn't read much of the Bible.  I did go to church every week though - for many years.  When I was in Primary School my sister and I went to Sunday School at the Methodist church near our home, but when a "Church of England" church came to our neighbourhood we changed.  My mother's family were very very "Church of England" with my mother's uncle being a rector of a church, and all her side of the family were initially very Church of England.  (It became the Anglican Church in 1981).

Many family members are buried there.  It is the third oldest church in South Australia.  Read about it here.

My family also has links with the first church to be built in Adelaide - the Holy Trinity Church.  My parents were married there.  As I write this I realise that I have never been to that church.  In some ways it is a surprise to me, as I now think my parents should have taken me there at some stage.  I will try and go next time I am in Adelaide.  You can read more of the history of this church here.

This piece was to be about the Ten Commandments. I am sorry I digressed.  There's much written in religious books, (including the Bible) and on the Internet about the Ten Commandments.  I know the world has changed, but I have always believed that they were still good to follow.

I know there are various versions (including the short version and the long one, and different interpretations, but the following is as I recall them.  These days I don't know what percentage of our Australian population follow Christianity and I confess to not being a regular worshipper or even believer, but I do believe in the Ten Commandments.  I do believe that if we followed them, we would have a much better world.

Murder, robbery, and adultery are common in our lives now, sadly.  

The 10 Commandments List, Short Form

  1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
  2. You shall not make idols.
  3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  5. Honor your father and your mother.
  6. You shall not murder.
  7. You shall not commit adultery.
  8. You shall not steal.
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  10. You shall not covet.

Perhaps we should have an updated version to help people improve their lives and the lives of others.


Comments