All About Front Fences

There's been a bit of media discussion about front fences in housing.   I live in a street where fences are not permitted, though two properties do have them.  When I was a child we had a front fence - my father made a low brick and stone fence around 1950, and was still in place 60 years later.  My parents had a wonderful garden and small front lawn - and it is pretty much the same now as it was all those years ago.

In the township where I now live, other streets have houses where fences appear to be approved - and some the house is behind a 7 foot high fence, so one can not even see the house.

In the last couple of weeks there has been media about Canberra where front fences are not permitted.

There are other places around the world where front fences are not permitted.  I know much of what we see of housing in the UK there are few front fences.  

Personally, I like to have a fence to border my property - a low hedge is fine.  I don't wish to live behind a 6 foot high barrier.  I understand that others have other opinions and would prefer to live behind a high privacy screen/fence - though I do feel that in a suburban area that if you have a dog a high fence might be a good idea.

When I moved here I was told that they were forbidden so that people could see and make friends with their neighbours. The latter does not happen in our neighbourhood.  In part it is because our living space is at the rear of the house (and I have a 5 foot high fence there), and we seldom set eyes on our neighbours.

The lady across the road is a school teacher - I have not seen her for months.  I never see her leave for work or return home, because unless I am sitting in my bedroom with blinds wide open I don't see her coming and going.

I seldom see the neighbours on either side - unless I go out of my way to visit them!  If I am at the front of my house and look in both directions I seldom see any of the folk that live in the street.  Many are renters and do not stay long - and getting friendly with neighbours is not done the way it was done many  years ago.

My front yard is interesting - because of local flooding the house is 2 meters above "flood level" - the driveway slopes high to the garage.  There is a lawn, a small rock wall, and a rather ghastly "garden" below, with a log boundary.

In some ways it is ok - I only rent so would not get over enthusiastic about gardening - it is not an easy garden to work on.

The biggest issue I have is that young people do not understand property boundaries and often use our driveway as a ramp!!!

 * * *


The video below has nothing to do with fences - but it is an awesome display in Chile.  I'm exhausted watching it. 





Comments