More on Bamboo

Those who know me will be aware of my great interest in Bamboo.  Recently my daughter gave me some bamboo plates - good to use for picnics etc, and last week in KMart I found the plates in one of the aisles along with some bowls.  I bought two of the bowls.  Not that I need any more, but I tend to buy bamboo stuff.  They are decor brand and I think I paid $2.50 each.



Further, I have booked a trip to China for December, and as I am staying in Hangzhou I have been researching some of the many tourist spots that I have not had the time to visit in the past.

One spot that I am keen to go to is the Hangzhou Botanical Garden which is a huge place - 568 acres.
Guess what!!!  They have a very interesting Bamboo Garden, with one particular bamboo, nan Damaozhu "which grows very fast - reaching 1 meter (approx. 3 feet) in height during the night and growing as tall s a three stories building in one month."

I so look forward to seeing that.

The Guinness World Record website says
"The world record for the fastest growing plant belongs to certain species of the 45 genera of bamboo, which have been found to grow at up to 91 cm (35 in) per day or at a rate of 0.00003 km/h (0.00002 mph).
According to the RHS Dictionary of Gardening, there are approximately 1,000 species of bamboos. The tallest recorded in the tropics was reportedly 40 m (130 ft), in Europe and the USA 20-30 m (65-98 ft) has been the tallest."
I think that must be one of the same species as in the Hangzhou Botanical Gardens.

I hope I get a photo of it!!!!





Comments