Brisbane Town Hall Museum

We made the journey from Caboolture to Brisbane city yesterday - myself and the two grandchildren who are staying with me for the week of school holidays.  I had to collect my Passport ad Visa from the Chinese Visa office for my trip to China next month, and as the train journey of one hour was long and boring for the children, I decided to take them for some "education" at the Brisbane Town Hall Museum.

The Town Hall is a lovely old historic building, built around 1920 - 30, and was completely renovated and restored between 2010 and 2013, and now has an amazing museum on the third floor.  I was stunned with the amazing exhibits in the museum - from awesome photographs and other ephemera, great films to watch, and touch screen exhibits that allowed the visitor to see more of their choosing.

The Many Lives of Moreton Bay Exhibit was excellent, with so much to see, read, and learn.  The children were fascinated, but typically their attention span was short and I spent most of my time trying to find them, as they ventured off on their own.  Still, I reason, I have to go back next week to collect my sister's visa, so will be able to explore more when I am on my own.

We came to live in Brisbane first in 1971, so I remember some of Brisbane as it was then, especially around the river.  We were living in Sydney for the 1974 floods which so devastated the city, and we moved here just after the floods.  I remember flying in to Brisbane over the river and seeing debris on the land beside the river down towards the mouth.

There are many events on at this wonderful building which are listed here.  There was a performance in the main hall (I remember it well from speech nights for my daughter's school (Clayfield College) in the 1980's, and even earlier (I think on the same floor as the museum) where I used to take my small children for child care while I did my shopping or attended medical appointments in the city.  Many memories were revived yesterday at this place.

On the ground floor is the cafe The Shingle Inn - the original one opened in Brisbane in the 1930's and is now a franchise with Shingle Inn's popping up around Australia.  I will visit for a coffee and cake when I return to the city next week.

In front of the Town Hall is King George Square, with a number of statues including two lions, and one of King George V respendant on his horse.  It was given his name in 1936 after his death.  It has only recently been renovated and changed and is a busy throughfare between Adelaide Street and Ann Street.


The bronze statues are great places for photos!!!!



Comments