Tracks to the Movies

I have treated myself to the movies frequently of late - and mostly at the Bribie Island Movie Theatre.  I do think it is an amusing place - outside looking most unlike a movie theatre, but inside as comfortable and movie theatre like as is possible.  It is not grand - just comfortable.  

In recent weeks I have seen The Book Thief, Saving Mr Banks, The Railway Man, and Philomena.  All wonderful movies - I could see each one again, but as I struggle to see for the first time some of the excellent movies on offer, I see it unlikely that I will see them again soon.

Yesterday I drove over to Bribie again to see 12 Years a Slave - the winner of the 2014 Oscar for Best Film.

This is written in YouTube about the movie  


"12 YEARS A SLAVE is based on an incredible true story of one man's fight for survival and freedom. In the pre-Civil War United States, Solomon Northup (Chiwetel Ejiofor), a free black man from upstate New York, is abducted and sold into slavery. Facing cruelty (personified by a malevolent slave owner, portrayed by Michael Fassbender) as well as unexpected kindnesses, Solomon struggles not only to stay alive, but to retain his dignity. In the twelfth year of his unforgettable odyssey, Solomon's chance meeting with a Canadian abolitionist (Brad Pitt) forever alters his life."




I found it a very confronting movie - with some horrific scenes depicting the violence that we probably have all read about - about the horrific way men and women who were victims of the slave trade were treated.  At times I had to shield my eyes from the scene it was so difficult to watch.

However, it IS a good movie, and I was glad I saw it.  I recommend it - but not for folk who are very young, or uncomfortable with graphic violence.

Comments