Why Beachmere?

Here I am sitting in the tranquility of Beachmere - watching the sky alternate between blue and grey.  Watching because today I have washed sheets and other items and want them dried.  I decided that I did not need a clothes dryer but this strange (for Queensland) winter weather has me pondering my decision and hoping that the weather will be good for me at least today!

When I had decided that I needed to settle down after my travels and house sitting I researched places around 100 kms or less from Brisbane.  I travelled back and forth and researched the rental market.  Clearly I don't have enough money to buy, and even renting is going to be challenging but there was no choice.  I did look at some over 50's "resort style" accommodation but it was small, pokey, expensive and in many case one had to dine on whatever food was dished up in the dining room.  Yuk!  That was not for me.

Beachmere came up in my research and a friend and I took several trips to see what it was like.  Quiet, small, rural, near the beach (important for me!) and best of all some interesting rental properties.  So I applied and secured this delightful  place - brand new too, which was a bonus, about 1 km from the shopping centre of Beachmere.

So I moved.  The contents of the shipping container which sat at our daughter and son-in-law's property was emptied into a truck "Two Men and a Truck" and put into the garage at the new abode.  I am slowly checking out the boxes and sorting things out.  It could be a week or more before the car sees the inside of the garage.

In the past two weeks I have been leading somewhat of a chaotic life - finishing off a house sit, travelling to Adelaide for the Ragless family reunion,   (My mother was Ida Joyce RAGLESS), attending a Griffith Friends of the Library Advisory Board meeting in Brisbane, and taking care of up to four grandchildren!  Yesterday I travelled to Brisbane for a regular meeting with two other writer friends, and today I am "taking it easy" at Beachmere.  Washing, unpacking and finding time to write in peace.

Beachmere is some 45 minutes drive north of Brisbane, just off the Bribie Island Road.  It is as if the world has forgotten Beachmere, but there is a small shopping centre, a tavern, a library, a community centre and club, and lots of rural properties with horses, cattle, sheep and more I guess.  I certainly have much to explore.

My abode is, as I have said, brand new, with three bedrooms, the main with an ensuite and a walk in wardrobe.  I have never had either of these!!!  There is a garage with remote, and a huge living dining area which looks out onto a park and if one is situated in the right spot one can see a lake which I am told is good for fishing and crabbing.  I've yet to try that!!

The major local shopping area is Caboolture - which is about 10 minutes away with an amazing array of retail outlets.

Beachmere only rates about two lines in Wikipedia, and not much more in other sites.
http://www.about-australia.com/destinations/beachmere/

Now it is home to me.  

Comments