Karratha


Oh, the scenery!!!  In some ways I’d love to ride a bike or walk along the highway, as there are photo opportunities everywhere, and though I stopped frequently, I would lament at the missed photos.  Apart from the time to stop, get the camera, take the photo etc which added not inconsiderable minutes to my day, it was not possible to stop – no room to park the car off road, or double lines (plenty of those) traffic etc.  I did what I could – and just marvelled in the beauty of the scenery.
Karratha is clearly a mining town – with men and women mine and other workers in “high vis” clothing everywhere, and much of the road traffic clearly mine vehicles with clear markings.
I drove through to Dampier, and came across the statue for “Red Dog” – the dog that inspired the movie of the same name, based on a true story of this amazing dog up here in the Pilbara.

I stayed on night in a caravan park and set off early the next morning.







Huge piles of salt!

Apparently an old sign, but still scary

Near the caravan park.

Comments