Broken Hill

I woke in Silverton (Penrose Park) to the raucous sounds of hundreds of birds - cockatoos, corellas, and lots more filled the skies and shrieked as they flew around.  The resident peacocks joined it, crashing the silence of the outback.

Thea cabin I stayed in was pretty basic - but as I often say, all I need is a good bed, a bathroom and an air conditioner!  I had got up early to take some photos in the early morning light of some of the buildings of Silverton, before returning to the cabin, having breakfast and packing up to return to Broken Hill.

I had booked into the caravan park in Broken Hill - The Broken Hill Tourist Park on Rakow Street, in a cabin - and a vastly different one to the one at Silverton.  The cabin was clean, the beds made, towels on the beds, a kitchenette, kitchen utensils, and a television - oh, and the necessary air conditioning.  My cabin was at the rear of the park - and I learned later than many of those staying there were workers, but quite late in the afternoon I visited the BBQ area and chatted with a few of the folk.  There were few travellers in the park - though early evening quite a few vans and motor homes moved in, and most of those were packed up ready to leave early in the morning.  Perhaps if I want to interview any travellers I need to stay in the park for at least two nights!!

Still, I was very impressed with the Broken Hill Tourist Park and the staff.  Very friendly and helpful.

In the park

View from 'my' cabin

Some of the newer cabins

One of my tasks for the day was to revisit Pro Hart's Gallery and see the film about Pro and his life, that is shown in one of the rooms in the gallery.  It takes about 90 minutes, so the previous visit did not give me enough time to see it.  I sat in the room with a group of others including children, but they managed to last 20 minutes, and the rest of the time I was alone, until Pro's widow Raylee joined me.  I had quite a chat with her, and we talked about Pro and his work and their children's work.

Later I went up on to the top of the mine, overlooking the city of Broken Hill.  There is a Visitor Information Centre, a Restaurant and a building where the mining union members who died in the mine are recognised.  It was sad to read the names, ages and cause of death - I couldn't help noticing that many died of 'heart failure".

On the top of the mine, with the restaurant building on the right.

Looking over the city

The Memorial Centre

 I had planned to meet other travellers at the BBQ - had a lamb chop and salad to have at the BBQ, but in the end cooked in my cabin as there were only workers at the BBQ.

My legs were still painful from my visit to the mine, and I found it difficult to sit down, or to stand up if I was sitting, so it did 'clip my wings' a little.  (Luckily it was only two days of pain before life and my legs returned to normal.




Comments