Brisbane - Miles - Charleville

Here I am in dusty hot Charleville.  It is what I thought it would be like - but some things disappoint me.  I know this part of Queensland has faced flooding, and it is awesome to see how far the water came through the town, but the town looks tired and worn out - which I don't think can be blamed on the floods.

I had three nights in Miles in my No 17 Bunker at Possum Park.  This is quite a remarkable property with David and Julie Hinds running it since 1985.  It is a working cattle property, but with a big caravan park, train carriage accommodation, the bunkers, camping and more.  As this area is in the midst of a huge mining boom (coal, and coal seam gas) they have a number of cabins or dongas too.  They are wonderful hosts - even when I arrived I was invited in for a cup of tea in Julie and David's bunker.

I spent much time in Miles especially the Historical Village which is worth many hours to explore the many amazing exhibits.

Does anyone remember when butcher shops looked like this?

Registered and ready for the road.

Inside an empty large bunker.

There is plenty to see around Miles, especially if you are interested in history.  Do you remember learning about explorer Ludwig Leichardt?  He visited the area, I think in around 1844, and named the place Dogwood Crossing - the town of Miles is on the high side of the Dogwood Creek, which is a pretty lazy creek until the big rains come and fill the whole area.

I set off to Mitchell after three nights in Miles, and was disappointed.  REally, it is a very small town, dry, dusty, and as a new bridge is being built over the river, there is an element of chaos at one end of the town.  I had hoped to swim in the Artesion Spa, but that was closed too.  My cheepie motel was ok, and funnily the owners used to live at Tingalpa - close to where I have lived for nearly 20 years in Brisbane.

Mitchell to Charleville was a good run - though dodging emus was the challenge.  There were so many - many adults with three or four chicks feeding on the side of the road.  Clearly driving overnight or dawn or dusk is kangaroo time as the deceased animals litter the road, and the challenge driving in the day is avoiding great corpses on the road.  Luckily there was little traffic on the road, in fact I only saw one vehicle travelling in the same direction as me,from Morven and Charleville and it was a water truck that turned off not far from Morven, and perhaps less than a dozen vehicles passed in the other direction.

I spent a few hours at the Cosmos Centre - learning all about the stars.  A very interesting exhibit.

Comments