I'm stricken with the 'flu, but recovering somewhat, but with such lovely weather it is hard not to want to be out in it.  I had seen a great shoe shop advertised at Sandgate, on the north side of the river, and set off to see if I could find a neat pair of shoes that fit well, and thought maybe I would go on to Redcliffe - a place I hadn't visited for many years.  I used to work on the Redcliffe Peninsula as a marketing manager for the big shopping centre there.

So I set off - the sun was shining, it was our warmest day since April, and fabulous weather for my day out.

I had intended to go to Sandgate first, but ended up heading straight over the Hornibrook bridge first.  It really didn't matter, as long as I was back to Manly by 2 pm, as I had a funeral to attend at 2.30 pm.

I was surprised to see the new bridge over the Pine Rivers estuary - I remember when I first went to Redcliffe there was an old wooden one, and then when I worked at Redcliffe a new modern bridge was built.  I had a scary incident driving over the bridge when a car tyre, from a load in front of me, bounced towards me and as I stopped it landed in front of my card caught under the bumper bar.  No damage done, but scary.
Now there is another bridge to cope with the huge traffic between Brisbane and Redcliffe on a daily basis.  Also if there is an accident on one bridge, traffic can be diverted along the other.

The white building is the entrance to the old Hornibrook Highway.  Now demolished though parts of it are left behind .

It appears that someone feeds the pelicans each day at 10 am, and when fishermen clean their catch they hang around hoping for more morsels.   This is on the waterfront not far from the bridge.

I had quite a chat with a gentleman who told me his wife thought he was out riding and getting exercise, but he was usually chatting with the fishermen, who gave the scraps to the pelicans.

I drove on around the seafront and came across the wreck of the ship, Gayunda.  From Wikipedia "HMQS Gayundah was a flat-iron gunboat operated by the Queensland Maritime Defence Force and later the Royal Australian Navy (as HMAS Gayundah). She entered service in 1884 and was decommissioned and sold in 1921. She then served as sand and gravel barge for Brisbane Gravel Pty Ltd until 1950, when she was scrapped. In 1958, Gayundah was run aground at Woody Point at Redcliffe, to serve as a breakwater structure.[1]"

The wreck of the Gayundah at Woody Point

The area around the Woody Point Jetty is very clean and picturesque.  And I did pick a fabulous day to visit!

The wonderful waterfront at Woody Point

The Redcliffe Jetty

The Redcliffe Jetty was a picture - it had been renovated since my last visit there and a number of people were enjoying the walk to the end of the jetty. Day trips go from Redcliffe to Moreton Island, which is clearly visible from the jetty.  For more information about tours check here or the Redcliffe Information Centre.

I stopped for coffee and a florentine at Mon Komo Hotel, which is on the site of a popular hotel of years ago, when there were daily performances showcasing life in the 1940's.  It was very popular in its day, and I recall the sadness when I heard it had closed down.  Mon Komo Hotel is fabulous, and I stopped long enough to enjoy a wonderful cup of coffee and biscuit.  I hope to return one day - I was very impressed.

I drove along Anzac Avenue, marvelling at the development since I was last year.  The shopping centre where I worked quite a few years ago, has undergone massive changes, and is undergoing further major changes.

I headed back towards Sandgate, but took a detour at the old Hornibrook bridge chatting to fishermen there, who were not having a great deal of luck catching any fish, but enjoying the day anyway.

Some parts of the old Hornibrook bridge remain, and at each side there is a great fishing platform, and old bridge pylons have been left to encourage fish to spend time in the area.

I had lost advertisement about the shoe shop at Sandgate, and had no idea where it was, but after traversing the new bridge, I turned left and found my way into the main shopping area - essentially one street.

As slowly as I could I drove along and turned into a side street and set off to find the shop, thinking I would have to ask a local. However, I was surprised to discover I had parked close to the shop, so went in and was lucky enough to find at least one pair to my liking.  The shop is called Heel to Toe.

I shall be back to that shop again!!!  

What a wonderful day.  I must do it again one day soon.


Loralee Hutton said…
Great to see images of your adventures. And glad you found that 1 right pair of shoes. I travel really light, while housesitting full time for the past 12 months. The one thing I really, really miss is my collection of shoes.
Hope you're feeling well again soon.

Popular Posts