I go to meet the people whose home I am looking after. I have a list of things I check.
- It must be quiet
- Clean and tidy
- Easy to clean
- Secure (I won't go where there are no screens on windows, or rickety door locks etc - remember I am on my own!)
- A nice bedroom and bathroom facility to use
- Easy to get to/park my car.
- I must "like" the owners.
- Small pets. I won't look after German Shepherds and other big dogs. I like them - I just don't feel confident to manage them.
- Internet Access - preferably wireless.
- A garden that I can easily manage
- I will look after cats and dogs, but not rats, snakes etc. (those people REALLY have troubles finding a house sitter.)
- I must get a list of peopleto call e.g. family member, emergency assistance for pets (Vet etc.), electrician, plumber, etc.
- Anyone in the neighbourhood to call (especially if I am far from my own home)
- Clear instructions for the pet. (Feeding, walking, bathing etc.)
I always chat with the owners for a while, and tell them I will think about it for 24 hours and let them know.
One of the challenges is dealing with every changing dates. I do try to get a set day and time they owner is returning, but I've found that not so easy.