Senior Solo Women

I heard on the radio today of a play Mother - a one woman show with Noni Hazelhurst. I'd love to see it, as it focuses on one of the issue of homeless ageing women.

I am not sure I can go to it, as all online tickets are sold, and I have a BIG week this week too, but I will try to find it.

The issue of senior solo woman is very important to me, because I am one!  I am lucky though, but not without some major challenges in my life.  I am concerned that despite much research on the topic suggesting that so many women are in dire straits, nothing is being done by our governments.

I have learned that there is special accommodation for senior solo women - at least one place in Brisbane, and I hope to be able to visit it one day.  It is a private operation.  I believe that there is the potential for more of these - and I believe that they could be profitable.

What do these women want?  (Oh, yes, I do remember the movie - but it has nothing to do with what I am considering.)

Women are very concerned about


  • Security  -   women are very vulnerable and worry about their own safety.
  • Loneliness - so many women have friends, but spend many hours on their own.
  • Financial Security - men have always earned more and generally had more money than women and many were left with very little or nothing after the death or departure of a spouse.
  • Health issues - being alone and sick is not good!




There are other issues that individuals have too.  

I am not sure what I am going to do, but it is an issue that I am passionate about and hope to do something positive for this cohort.

Woman dies alone and her body not found for  2 years.  Read here.
Body of woman not found for 41 years. Read here. 

The woman Sydney forgot here. 

More stories here. 


Do you know a senior solo woman?  Do you know what her concerns are?

I'd love some feedback.






Comments