Doing the Ultimate Blog Challenge

Well, I am up to Day 10 on the Ultimate Blog Challenge, but using my other site here.   As much as I am a lover of blogger and teach that to my students who are embarking on creating their own blog or website, I have seen the benefits of using WordPress, but it is not as easy as Blogger.

One does have a bit more ability to change/add things, and I like the SEO plugins that help you improve your Search  Engine Optimisation.  I'm still a bit of a luddite with it all though.  My thing is writing, NOT web design or similar.

WordPress folk tend to be a bit "nerdy" as they play around with the "back end" of a site.  However, I have found some interesting things  I work with a number of web designers as I provide content for some.

I am surprised how in efficient they are at working with their clients.  One site I work with is for a not-for-profit organisation and I do much of their content.  When I started going to WordPress MeetUps etc I learned how little the company, which was paid quite a high sum, didn't and doesn't, tell me much about the workings of the site.  

The assume (WRONGLY) that I know everything.  The guy seldom answers my emails until I ask the same question many times, and them I don't always feel that he has told me as much as I need to know.

It is frustrating.

I have had a discussion with a WordPress Guru - and he tells me the same thing.  It seems that some web designers


  • want to keep control (but are not always available for advice)
  • assume that the person doing the content knows all about the back end
  • has no instructed his/her client sufficiently 
  • has little interaction with the client after the site is "completed".

Life goes on though and mostly all the issues are minor.

I continue.





Comments