Sexual Abuse Royal Commission

Sexual abuse has been going on for years - and in some schools, churches and other organisations it appears to have been, systematic.  Those people who don't understand that it is abuse of children and others and that the perpetrators continue to seek out the vulnerable and do what they do.  I wonder if with all the law changes, increase of penalties and so forth, if it will every end.

In some countries of the world women and children are sexually and physically abused - and so many men believe it is their right to do what they want with the victims, and often the victim is killed.  If they live, they are often so traumatised that leading a "normal" life afterwards is denied them.  It is horrific.

But in a world where males are usually the leaders, the persons in power in government, business, churches and so forth appear to do nothing, as it suits their own aims.

Many years ago, I was a whistleblower about a teacher at the school where my son attended. I have been assured that my son was not a victim, but I learned that others were and set out to have them punished.  The school has been the subject of the Child Abuse Royal Commission hearings recently in Brisbane.

It was hard to believe that the "strange" behaviour between teachers and students was not considered to be "illegal" or wrong by the headmaster of the school.  It is hard to believe that someone like a headmaster would not know what was going on and act to protect the children.  I reported the concerns that I had, and of course had no proof, and everyone labelled me just a "trouble maker."

So concerned are organisations about their public image that they do nothing to protect the victims, but do everything to protect their reputation.

Up until the time I appealed to the church to act on the sexual abuse, and their refusal to do so, I was a regular church goer, but from that time, I have refused to attend church.  I refused to be part of an organisation that considered itself to be of more value than the children in their care.

The Royal Commission had hearings in Brisbane this month, and I watched the television coverage of the hearings and have had many tearful times, as I learned more about what went on in the schools.  I cry because I was not able to get anyone in positions of power to do anything about it.  We removed our son from the school.  I cry for the boys whose lives were so changed by the behaviour of these devious and abusive teachers, and the way that they were supported in the schools while they committed their vile acts.

The whole episode has weighed heavily on my mind since those days around 1983 when I became the "trouble maker".

It has been a very traumatic experience for me - and for over 30 I have carried the burden of my inability to make a change.

At least I tried.


Comments

peteswriteplace said…
There was a very good Australian mini series shown here a few months ago. It was based on fact and concerned a younger priest trying to prove unhealthy connections between young teen boys, some of whom committed suicide, and priests. He had a very difficult time with the system, but a female politician with the same agenda helped him in the end. A very senior priest was exposed.
Di Hill said…
I haven't heard of it, but it is probably not allowed to be shown in Australia while the commission is active. Maybe we will have to wait until the final report is published. It hs been going on for years, and may still continue, though I would hope that the perpetrators will learn that it is not going to be a happy ending for them.